Welcome! We are glad you are here and are interested in bringing this option to Ohio.
Passing a Medical Aid in Dying law in Ohio requires building an informed community of support that includes physicians, nurses, social workers, chaplains, and administrators throughout our state.
There are three simple ways to help with this effort.
1. Share Your Email, Stay Informed.
You will receive periodic and targeted emails about the progress of medical aid in dying laws around the country and about our work in Ohio.
2. Learn by Reading These Articles by Medical Professionals.
There are articles presenting perspectives on both sides of the issue. It is helpful to know the thoughts of the opposition when presenting our reasons in favor.
In Support of Medical Aid in Dying
- By Robert Kliger. I am a doctor with end-stage cancer. I support medical aid in dying.
- By Shannon E. Sanford. Opinion: Why nurses support medical aid-in-dying as an option for terminally ill patients
- By Judith Setla. Hospice AND medical aid in dying should be available to all Americans
- A conversation with Timothy E. Quill by Jo Cavallo. Balancing a reverence for life with a belief that patients have a right to a dignified death.
In Opposition to Medical Aid in Dying
- By Naga P. Raga. Is ‘death with dignity’ the only option?
- Letter: State legislators should reject assisted suicide bill
3. Tell us your ideas.
How are you handing medical aid in dying conversations in Ohio today, knowing it is an option in other states but not here? What are your ideas for educating more medical professionals in Ohio about it? Do you have a conference or event that would be willing to have a session with someone from our organization?
We want to hear all about what you are doing and how we can work together to support each other in this goal. Please email Lisa at LisaVS@ohiooptions.org. You can also use the Contact Us form. Thank you.
As we build our base of interested health care professionals, we are also looking for those that have a little time get more involved. If this sounds like you, please complete this brief volunteer form to let us know.